A downloadable debugger for Windows
RemedyBG is a 64-bit Windows debugger written from scratch with the goal of replacing the behemoth Visual Studio debugger and realizing that debuggers have largely been stagnant in their progress over the last couple of decades. All the code for the RemedyBG debugger engine is written from scratch (including PDB symbol file support).
Note that this project is in development and should be considered in "early access". This is why the version number is current less than 1.0. Just to be clear, there are certainly bugs as well as features that haven't been implemented yet.
Note that the software license is a perpetual license. There will be no need to repurchase as new versions are released.
Note that the source code is not provided as part of the distribution.
Note that if you create a project in Visual Studio, one of the default options is /debug:fastlink. This options scatters bits of debug information throughout the OBJ and LIB files rather than putting this information into the PDB file. RemedyBG does not support this flag and will fail to find any symbol information if this option is used.
Please use the message boards at https://remedybg.handmade.network/ or contact me via email (see README) for any comments, requests, and so forth.
RemedyBG is used on live streams of Casey Muratori's Handmade Hero which you can check out at https://handmadehero.org/.
New Features in 0.3.0.0
- Added support for parsing character literals, including multi-character literals such is 'IHDR'
in the watch window.
- Better Unicode support (filenames, command lines, string preview, and so forth)
- All non-session specific settings now live in a single file
- Combined processor breakpoints other breakpoint types (rather than having two separate tabs).
- Added conditional breakpoints for all breakpoint types.
- Implemented find in file (Ctrl+F) in text window. F3/Shift-F3 will repeat the search.
- Added "Open Last Session on Startup" option.
- A Dark/Light style picker was added to the Style menu.
- Added "Reset to Default" for font options.
- Session can now specify environment variables
- Added "Close All But This" to a text window tab's context menu.
- Can now use 'sizeof' in watch expression. Presently implements C99 standard: "sizeof(typename)"
and "sizeof expression". Parenthesis imply a typename lookup.
- Adds formatters for vector registers
- Adds formatters for inline watch window memory display of various sorts
- Hexadecimal override in watch window (right-click "Hexadecimal Display" to toggle).
Bug Fixes 0.3.0.1
- An address for a local/param can be relative to RSP,RBP,or R13 (specified in the PDB file). Previously, RSP was always used as the base when computing relative addresses. This has been fixed.
- Fixed problem displaying certain C++ structures in the watch window.
- Fixed handling of character literals in binary expressions (e.g., "i == 'a')
- Fixed problem loading RDBG session files saved by 0.3.0.0 that contained processor breakpoints.
Bug Fixes 0.3.0.2
- Corrected issues with __locals related to fixes made in 0.3.0.1
- Now properly handle padding for type records. This fixes a problem when watching forward declared structures/unions without a unique name.
In order to download this debugger you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $29.95 USD. You will get access to the following files: